Manufacturing Engineer (Controls / Automation)
Controls engineers are responsible for ensuring that plants create the best products possible in the most efficient manner. They are highly analytical and use these skills to examine and improve processes to increase productivity. At the same time, they are responsible for ensuring that all equipment is properly maintained. As they perform these functions, controls engineers must also be able to work with other departments and external parties to create and implement processes to increase the plant’s efficiency.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials, processes, and equipment.
- Analyze and plan workflow, equipment placement and space requirements to improve manufacturing efficiency.
- Analyze production processes, schedules, methods, and other data and provide management with reports to enable management to better understand future requirements needed for the manufacturing process.
- Review and calculate labor, material, and other production costs along with reviewing schedules and future production requirements to assist management in decision making.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Confer with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts.
- Drive continuous improvement by identifying opportunities for preventing waste and inefficiency during production.
- Controls engineers must be master multitaskers.
- Ability to interpret electrical design, schematics, and drawings.
- Interpret mechanical design drawings for electrical requirements.
- Review, modify and redesign legacy code (in-house)
- Troubleshoot issues with existing company installed systems.
- Technical writing including Software Documentation (e.g., Test Plan, Operating Manual with Troubleshooting Guide, Spare Parts List with Vendor Parts.
- Design, implement and maintain processes that help manufacturers increase productivity.
- Find creative solutions to problems as they arise and assist in the implementation of predictive maintenance plans.
- Analyze plant processes and help make improvements based on their extensive knowledge of electronics, engineering, and mechanics.
- Troubleshooting issues with hardware and processes.
- Plan & participate in equipment installations.
- Work with others to detect problems and implement solutions.
- Define or develop training to support the advancement of maintenance and other internal candidate specific to controls and automation
- Ensure that the plant is running smoothly and efficiently while also meeting quality and safety standards.
- Works to consistently meet and exceed customer requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned to achieve corporate and departmental objectives.
Position Qualification Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in electrical, manufacturing, mechanical, or related engineering field preferred
2-4 years of experience in a related field. Programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (e.g., Allen-Bradley, Omron). Configuring and designing HMI systems (e.g., Allen Bradley, PC).
Skills + Knowledge
Excellent communication skills. Technical proficiency in some software applications. Experience and skill in troubleshooting control system issues. Familiar with various Motion Controllers/Actuators. Experience with Vision System programming (e.g., Cognex, Keyence) is desired. Experience with Robot programming (e.g., ABB, Fanuc) is desired. CAD and 3D modeling software experience preferred. Utilize hand tools, precision measuring equipment, and various types of testing equipment. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and Teams.
Physical Activities + Demands
Physical demands commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job which requires the ability to stand, walk, reach, push, pull, grasp, talk, hear, and see. The employee is required to lift over 25 to 60 pounds occasionally and/or 1 to 5 pounds continuously from floor to waist and move a distance of 6 to 8 feet. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to maintain a level state of alertness while performing this job.
Machines, Tools, Equipment + Work Aids
Which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position. Metal Working Machines, Tape measure, Height Gauge, Calipers, Templates, Dies.
Veterans, reservists, and military spouses are encouraged to apply!
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
We offer an excellent benefits package and competitive salary. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life, employer-paid short-term disability, and other ancillary benefits. Hager offers PTO, company paid holidays, 401(k), and an incentive bonus plan.