tool & die maker
Location: Montgomery, AL
The Tool and Die Maker will cut, shape, finish, and maintain tools, dies, fixtures, and jigs made of a variety of metals. Setup and perform first article inspections of new, modified, and repaired tooling.
- Plan, lay-out and perform machining operations and bench work.
- Design, repair or modify dies, tools, fixtures, jigs, etc., which may be of complex design, to close tolerances and finish requirements.
- Implement preventative die maintenance and repairs or modifications on secondary and progressive metal stamping dies.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications of tools, dies or fixtures as required to create and build new fixtures, tools, and machine parts.
- Compute dimensions, plans, layouts and determine assembly method and sequence of operation.
- Uses computer-aided design (CAD) software to create designs and/or turn designs into blueprints.
- Setup, operate, and maintain machine tools to cut, drill, mill, bore, and grind or otherwise shape a work piece to prescribed specifications.
- Troubleshoot tools and implement adjustments and modifications on the bench and at the press.
- Disassemble dies on table to verify dimensions to part print, set clearances, using measuring instruments such as dial indications, gauge blocks, dial calipers, and micrometers.
- Remove defective components and repair; fit and reassemble parts using hand tools. Create drawing of parts to be fabricated; insert repaired or replacement part, verify clearances and reassemble die.
- Set up and operate machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, grinders, and drill presses to fabricate tooling, and die components. Verify conformance to drawing specifications.
- Troubleshoot progressive, secondary dies, roll mill lines and production equipment.
- Sharpen dies and perform preventative maintenance on progressive and secondary dies.
- Verify conformance of finished work pieces and assemblies to specifications using precision measuring instruments.
- Implement engineering changes on tools and dies.
- GTAW (tig) welding may be required.
- Follow all safety and environmental regulations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
Position Qualification Requirements
Education: High school or GED and Tool and Die Maker apprenticeship certification. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as machining, manufacturing or metalworking preferred.
Experience: Five or more years of progressive experience building and repairing dies preferred.
Skills/Knowledge: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Working understanding of geometry, trigonometry, and algebra. Broad knowledge of tool making and machining technology, and mechanical principles, shop mathematics, layout and precision measuring procedures, metallurgy and heat treatment applications. In-depth knowledge of metalwork and engineering, a good eye for detail, and the ability to visualize structural components. Proficient with computer-aided (CAD) software and Microsoft Office Suite.
Physical Activities/Demands: Requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, and see. Required to exert enough force to lift over 60 pounds frequently and/or 25 to 60 pounds occasionally and/or 5 to 25 pounds continuously from floor to waist and move a distance of 5 to 50 feet. Must be able to maintain a level state of alertness while performing this job.
Veterans, reservists, and military spouses are encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please click below to apply!
Click through to see testimonials from both Hager’s amazing employees as well as Hager’s partners.
“I was recently invited to tour Hager’s manufacturing and distribution facilities in Montgomery, Alabama. I was impressed with the pro-people business approach that comes from the top down which, in this case, is, commendably, the Hager family.”
-Joe Calvert CSI CDT AHC SCIP, Calvert Independent Hardware Specifications, LLC.
“The American ingenuity and skilled labor stills exist at Hager. From the moment I walked in the door, I felt like part of the Hager family and tradition. I am thoroughly impressed with the entire organization, the employees, and the making of hinges.”
-Alan Fambrough A.H.C., John Oatley Builders Hardware Inc
lets get social
learn more about our company
interested in joining our team?
Click below is see Hager’s current job openings and apply to be a part of the Hager team today!