Lean manufacturing engineer
Location: Montgomery, AL
The Lean Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for leading the implementation of lean principles throughout the manufacturing process to improve the efficiency, quality, and cost structure of the plant. This position will be responsible for coaching, creating, and providing training, and developing team members including leading kaizen events.
- Improve manufacturing processes using work simplification and lean manufacturing techniques.
- Design process flow, cells, and fixtures as needed for process improvements, new products, product modifications, etc.
- Lead workgroups to solve production challenges through the application of structured problem-solving techniques and lean concepts.
- Manage projects and prepare cost estimates, comparisons, justifications, etc. to be used for capital equipment purchases, make vs. buy decisions, etc.
- Analyze product/process data identifying opportunities for improvement and cost reduction.
- Plan, develop and lead implementation of process changes that yield improved Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE), production efficiencies, yields, and quality.
- Work with manufacturing engineering and maintenance on the introduction of new products or the modification of existing products. Provide input on manufacturing feasibility for new and modified products to ensure that lean concepts are used.
- Coach, train, and mentor cross-functional teams in proper use and application of Lean or Six Sigma tools including, but not limited to, Value Stream Mapping (VSM), Standard Work, 5S, SMED, Kanban, GEMBA meetings, DOE (Design of Experiment), Problem Solving, TPM (Total Productive Maintenance), and TPI (Transactional Process Improvement) throughout the facility.
- Compile and evaluate test and production data, prepare technical analysis, and recommend manufacturing methods and processes required to meet design objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Position Qualification Requirements
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience and training. Preference for Six Sigma Certification.
Experience: Minimum of five years’ experience leading continuous improvement projects in a manufacturing environment required prior to entry into position. Experience in applying lean principles including Kanban, Kaizen, and 5s required. Strong computer skills including experience using excel, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, simulation, project management. CAD or solid works software experience (to create jigs and fixtures for manufacturing). Experience with automation, robotics, and CNC equipment preferred.
Skills/Knowledge: Requires broad knowledge of manufacturing management and control as well as management and supervisory practices along with the ability to apply principles of logical thinking to draw valid conclusions to solve practical problems and deal with situations where only limited standardization exists. Hands on approach required.
Physical Activities/Demands: Normal office environment which requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, and see. May involve the ability to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects of up to 15 to 20 pounds and/or 10 pounds of force frequently.
Veterans, reservists, and military spouses are encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please click below to apply!
Click through to see testimonials from both Hager’s amazing employees as well as Hager’s partners.
“I was recently invited to tour Hager’s manufacturing and distribution facilities in Montgomery, Alabama. I was impressed with the pro-people business approach that comes from the top down which, in this case, is, commendably, the Hager family.”
-Joe Calvert CSI CDT AHC SCIP, Calvert Independent Hardware Specifications, LLC.
“The American ingenuity and skilled labor stills exist at Hager. From the moment I walked in the door, I felt like part of the Hager family and tradition. I am thoroughly impressed with the entire organization, the employees, and the making of hinges.”
-Alan Fambrough A.H.C., John Oatley Builders Hardware Inc
lets get social
learn more about our company
interested in joining our team?
Click below is see Hager’s current job openings and apply to be a part of the Hager team today!